Ramps

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Matt Thorogood

Hi, I work with Dams and on a couple of occasions we have had a couple of birds, most recently a swan (fly/swim) into one of our spillways. We contacted the local wildlife groups and they coordinated a rescue. Our team were wondering if you had any information pertaining to ramps and what we could possibly install to enable the swans and other water birds to facilitate their own escape? We think a ramp of some sort could be the way to go, but do not know what angle of slop we can make work for the animals and the working area is somewhat restricted. The installation of a grate or other obstruction at the crest would influence the hydraulics, there is also very limited access around that part of the structure, so has been ruled out as a reasonable solution. We are looking to install measures, but would be very disappointed to spend money on something that wouldn’t work. Any advice would be genuinely appreciated.
    Regards, Matt T

#172162 Reply
    Swan Expert
    Keymaster

Hi Matt

Great question. The ramp would need to be away from any hydraulics and in an area that the birds would readily see as a “platform” to exit the water. There are no set rules on the size of the ramp, but it needs to be at least 3 feet in width so the birds do not get injured sliding off the ramp. The slope needs to be in increments, i.e. gradually accessing the bank so it again, is not so steep that the birds slide down. You can make this ramp out of wood or other such material that is not expensive and not abrasive or slippery when wet. If you provide a small platform on the water, with zero entrance to the platform, i.e., the. Birds can readily float onto the platform, they may actually use the plarform as a take-off point from the spillway and possibly not use the ramp. However, not knowing your size issue, we really can’t advise much more than this potential solution. Could you please email us at Bolin.S@att.net and send us several different views of your spillway area? We may be able to offer a reasonable and cost effective solution that will be a practical application for the birds. The Regal Swan

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Swan Expert.
    #172492 Reply
    Matt Thorogood

Thank you very much @ The Regal Swan, I’ll get an email off to you this week and look forward to discussing further.
    Regards, Matt

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Reply #172162 in Ramps
Your information: